The Airing of Grievances
When you’re scratching your head and checking your calendar to see the way you missed a vacation, don’t fear — you aren’t the one one.
The idea of Festivus was first launched within the “Seinfield” episode “Strike” from Season 9, which aired Dec. 18, 1997.
Based on festivusweb.com, “Festivus is a secular vacation, usually celebrated on Dec. 23. It’s primarily meant as an alternative choice to the pressures and commercialization of the Christmas season. … The standard vacation custom of a tree is manifested in an unadorned aluminum pole, which is in direct distinction to regular vacation materialism. These attending Festivus can also take part within the ‘Airing of Grievances’ which is a chance to inform others how they’ve disillusioned you up to now yr, adopted by a Festivus dinner, after which accomplished by the ‘Feats of Power’ the place the pinnacle of the family should be pinned.”
This fictional-turned-real-life-secular vacation even has its personal slogan: “Festivus for the remainder of us!”
As a lot as the vacation season is about pleasure and love, there additionally tends to be plenty of stress and frustration. So in that spirit, we’ve requested members of the neighborhood, in addition to The Dominion Put up workers, to hitch us within the Airing of Grievances. (You’re by yourself for the Feats of Power.)
We had a bunch of associates in over the vacations, and a few of them jumped on the probability to gripe about their pet peeves.
1. Restaurant menus which can be solely accessible on Fb or QR codes.
2. Lack of small buying carts at some grocery shops.
3. Companies that don’t have telephones.
4. Conferences scheduled for late on Friday afternoons.
5. Neighbors that ignore their barking canines.
6. Whenever you pull into an empty parking zone and the following individual parks proper subsequent to you.
7 Weak decaf espresso. Simply because it’s decaf doesn’t imply it could actually’t have sturdy taste!
8. Individuals who introduce themselves solely by a primary title. Please — you’re no Beyonce, Bono, Madonna, Drake, Cher … you’re not well-known sufficient (but) to ditch the final title.
9. People who choose up their canine’s poop however then depart the bagged poop on my road!
10. Espresso roasters that may’t produce a deep darkish roast.
Brent Bailey & Pals
The elimination of full-service checkout lanes in lots of shops is one other criticism. Many shops solely have one lane open, with clients backed up into the buying aisles.
When shops begin providing reductions to make use of the self-checkout lanes or after they make it simpler to scan produce that should be weighed, then I’d think about using them.
My pet peeve is leaf blowers! You’ll be able to hear them a mile away, and typically folks run them for hours and hours, as a substitute of simply crunching these leaves up on their large lawns with a a lot quieter lawnmower.
You’ll be able to’t hear birds within the timber or wind within the pines and the noxious sound drones on in a single’s head into bedtime, even after that infernal machine is turned off.
1. Cease being offended!
2. Electrical vehicles: No. Flying vehicles: Sure!
3. Time period limits to vote on the poll, as a result of they received’t vote themselves out of a job!
My main concern is, for the reason that pandemic, the highways and byways have change into extraordinarily harmful as vehicles velocity excessively, particularly on the interstates. Individuals velocity on county and metropolis roads and highways.
After I was in class, we had been taught to go away one automobile size behind the automobile in entrance of you for each 10 miles an hour. I had the disagreeable expertise of being rear-ended within the metropolis.
We want extra State Police patrolling the highways and extra Sheriff’s Division folks patrolling county highways and streets within the metropolis.
The Dominion Put up Workers
Although my neuroses could put me extra in the way in which of George on the Costanza Scale, Frank and I are related in our penchant towards minor grievances.
- That stated, it’s virtually Christmas, so within the spirit of that impending, extra joyous vacation, I received’t permit this Festivus custom to get away from me — I’ll hold my gripes brief.
- Objects on tall cabinets in shops. Particularly objects on tall cabinets in shops which can be pushed method again. This isn’t a brief individual’s paradise.
- Individuals who don’t share the sidewalk. If somebody is coming towards you, make area. If they’ve pets, don’t crowd them — significantly when they’re making the trouble to maintain some thoughtful distance. Perceive you aren’t the one individual on the earth strolling and act accordingly.
- Tiny, skinny napkins in eating places. Pizza locations love these, however I see them in all places. They’re ineffective, messy and also you want 100 of them per meal. Pure grief.
- Individuals who chuckle method too exhausting at or repeat a humorous line of dialogue in a present or film. We get that you just get the joke. We additionally get the joke.
Individuals merging onto the interstate who don’t stand up to the velocity of visitors after they merge, and those that suppose they’ve the right-of-way to merge even when somebody is in that lane.
I discover it irritating while you wish to have a look at a restaurant’s menu on their web site, however it’s a must to begin the method of ordering on-line simply to see the menu.
Additionally, I dislike it when eating places solely provide reductions or offers in case you order by means of their app and never mean you can get the offers whereas ordering within the restaurant.
Listening to somebody say “supposably.”
My grievance this yr (amongst too many to listing) is folks speaking on their telephones in speaker mode whereas out in public.
Simply final week, whereas having a pleasant dinner with my household, I realized of a saga involving a microwave, as a result of the gentleman within the subsequent sales space had his daughter on speaker cellphone lamenting about her malfunctioning microwave.
At one level I felt like I had a vested curiosity on this scenario. Whereas annoying, I hope she acquired it fastened.
C’mon, people! Simply textual content whereas in public. Particularly when out to eat!
Circulation & Advertising and marketing
I agree with lots of the grievances others have aired, however listed below are a couple of of my very own:
- That the rinse agent for the dishwasher by no means appears to want refilled till it’s my flip to do the dishes.
- When folks don’t use their flip indicators — one thing that’s each annoying and probably harmful.
- Associated: When you’ve your flip sign on, indicating you want to merge or change lanes, and nobody will allow you to in. (Excluding when folks trip the quick lane to the entrance of a visitors jam, then attempt to lower in.)
- After I’ve consumed the final sip of my morning espresso with out realizing it was the final sip — and the frustration that follows after I go to take one other drink and there’s nothing left.
- When folks don’t depart a voicemail. When you don’t depart a voicemail to show that you’re a actual one that really wants one thing from me, I’ll assume you’re a robotic and possibly block your quantity in case you name greater than as soon as.