The vacation season is upon us, and everyone seems to be planning to assemble with family and friends.
For many people, winter climate, flight delays and different inconveniences could make touring burdensome. For these with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers, journey will be much more advanced and will set off anxiousness and confusion.
When making vacation plans — whether or not that’s house for the vacations or off to go to household and associates — think about the following tips from the Alzheimer’s Affiliation for a secure and calm expertise.
For these touring this vacation season:
- Consider choices for one of the best mode of journey. Based mostly on wants, talents, security and preferences, resolve what would supply essentially the most consolation and the least anxiousness.
- Carry an itinerary that features particulars about every vacation spot. Give copies to relations or associates you may be visiting or to emergency contacts at house.
- Journey through the time of day that’s finest for the particular person dwelling with the illness. For instance, if she or he turns into drained or agitated within the late afternoon, attempt to journey within the morning or in a single day.
- Have a bag of necessities that features medicines, a snug change of garments, water, snacks and actions.
For these staying house for the vacations:
- Know when somebody with Alzheimer’s illness shouldn’t journey. At a sure level within the development of the illness, journey might turn out to be unsafe or impractical. As a lot as you might be wanting ahead to a visit, essentially the most great time of 12 months can turn out to be the precise reverse if touring with the particular person with dementia is unsafe or creates undue stress.
- Familiarity and routine convey consolation for these dwelling with Alzheimer’s. If a vacation at house is finest for the one you love, think about constructing on recollections and experimenting with new traditions like connecting by video to play a recreation, cooking collectively, singing acquainted songs or sharing photographs from particular vacation moments.
There are roughly 39,000 West Virginia residents aged 65 and older who’re dwelling with Alzheimer’s illness, in keeping with the Alzheimer’s Affiliation “2023 Alzheimer’s Illness Details and Figures.” That quantity is predicted to extend to 44,000 by 2025. One in three seniors dies with the illness.
These involved about themselves or a liked one can contact the Alzheimer’s Affiliation West Virginia Chapter at 304-343-2717 to schedule a care session and be linked to native assets.